The Western Cape Government Health has rolled out active community screening and testing for COVID-19. 67 mobile sampling and testing units have been deployed nationwide to all districts and metropolitan municipalities. Rapid test kits will allow for faster results and people who display symptoms will be referred to local or mobile clinics for testing.
People who are infected with COVID-19 but show no or moderate symptoms will remain in isolation at home or at a facility provided by government. Those with severe symptoms will be transferred to hospitals.
Screening will be conducted door-to-door by trained field-workers using simple verbal questions to identify people who may require testing.
How to identify fieldworkers and ensure your safety:
- Field-workers will have ID tags and identifiable clothing
- The South African Police Service will accompany the field-workers to ensure a smooth operation and protect workers
- Testing will be done if the questions indicate that you require a further test. The health worker will refer you to the closest testing centre
- The test will be done by taking a swab from your nose and throat. This will either be done in a clinic, or in a mobile parked in your area.
- Test results will not be available immediately but patients will be followed up with and advised of their status.
The department asks that individuals do the following:
- Welcome health workers when screening
- Answer the questions honestly
What communities should do
- Please encourage people to be screened and tested
- Look out for health workers who have official dentification and branded clothing
- Support our health workers and keep them safe
- Help to keep communities clean and encourage good behaviour
- Don’t be afraid of testing or potential sick people
- Please support the elderly and children
Where can I get help:
- Your local NGO or health worker
- Call numbers: National Hotline: 0800 029 999
- Provincial hotline: 021 928 4102
- WhatsApp “hi” to 0600 123 456
- All lines are operational 24/7
- Your closest clinic (City and Province)